I’m currently a PhD candidate at Concordia University, in the process of writing my dissertation (so I’m an ABD). Previously, I defended a masters dissertation on the criticality of game design practice at the IT University in Copenhagen, Denmark.
I have published or presented work on game studies and design venues (Journal of Games Criticism, SBGames, DiGRA, FDG, CGSA) as well as HCI conferences (DIS). Citations and other info can be found on my Google Scholar and ORCID profiles.
Granzotto Llagostera, E. and Khaled, R. 2023. On Cooking a Sour Game. Journal for Computer Games Criticism, Volume 5, Bonus Issue: Surviving Whiteness in Games. https://gamescriticism.org/articles/llagosterakhaled-5-a.
Granzotto Llagostera, E. 2022. Questioning alternative and standard game controllers through hegemonic models. Proceedings of DiGRA 2022. DiGRA 2022 – Conference of the Digital Games Research Association, Krakow, Poland.
Granzotto Llagostera, Enric. 2020. “Despedaçando plataformas: ferramentas alternativas de criação de jogos e práticas compartilhadas.” In Proceedings of SBGames 2020, 8. Recife, Brazil: Sociedade Brasileira de Computação.
Granzotto Llagostera, Enric. 2019a. “Cook Your Way: Political Game Design with Alternative Controllers.” In Companion Publication of the 2019 on Designing Interactive Systems Conference 2019 Companion, 25–28. DIS ’19 Companion. New York, NY, USA: ACM. https://doi.org/10.1145/3301019.3325148.
Granzotto Llagostera, Enric. 2019b. “Critical Controllers: How Alternative Game Controllers Foster Reflective Game Design.” In Companion
Publication of the 2019 on Designing Interactive Systems Conference 2019 Companion, 85–88. San Diego, USA: ACM. https://doi.org/10.1145/3301019.3324872.
Granzotto Llagostera, Enric. 2018. “The Design Process of Cook Your Way.” Conference panel presented at the 2018 Canadian Game Studies Association (CGSA/ACÉV) Annual Conference, University of Regina, Regina, Saskatchewan.
Granzotto Llagostera, Enric. 2018. “Critical Controllers: How Alternative Game Controllers Foster Reflective Game Design.” Presented at the AoIR Doctoral Consortium, Montreal QC, Canada.
Cavaleiro, Anita, and Enric Llagostera. 2017. “Indie Dev Meetups in São Paulo, Brazil: Establishing ‘Indie-Ness.’” Symposium presentation at the Indie Interfaces Symposium, Concordia University, Montreal, Québec.
Granzotto Llagostera, Enric. 2016. “A Critical Analysis of the Brazilian Independent Games Scene.” Conference communication presented at the Different Games conference, NYU Magnet, New York City.
Granzotto Llagostera, Enric. 2012. “Criticality in Game Design Practice.” Copenhagen, Denmark: IT University of Copenhagen. http://www.bibliotecadigital.unicamp.br/document/?code=71278&opt=1.
Granzotto Llagostera, Enric. 2012. “On Gamification and Persuasion.” In Proceedings of XI SBGames, 12–21. Brasília, Brazil: Sociedade Brasileira de Computação.
Llagostera, Enric. 2009. “Análise da representação de poder no jogo PeaceMaker: retórica procedimental em ‘games for change.’” In SBGames 2009 VIII Brazilian Symposium on Games and Digital Entertainment. Rio de Janeiro: IEEE.
Selected awards and funding
05/2019 – 08/2022 – Doctoral Research Scholarship, granted by Fonds de recherche du Québec – Société et culture (FRQSC), Canada.
2020 – Explorer Award for the game Cook Your Way at the AMAZE 2020 Festival of games and playful media, Berlin, Germany.
2018 – Hexagram Student Grant. Project title: Cook Your Way: political games, alternative controllers and player creation, granted by the Hexagram research network, Canada.
08/2017 – 08/2021 – International Tuition Award of Excellence, granted by Concordia University, Canada.
2017 – Louise Dandurand Scholarship in Interdisciplinary Studies, granted by Concordia University, Canada.
08/2010 – 06/2012 – Full Scholarship for the MSc in Games at the IT-University of Copenhagen, Denmark.
2008 – Scientific Merit at the 16th Internal Congress of Undergraduate Research at UNICAMP, Campinas, Brazil. Project: Study of hypermedia screenwriting methodologies.
Other research activities
- Program Committee at ICEC-JCSG 2019I was part of the Program Committee, reviewing papers on serious games and simulations, for… Read more: Program Committee at ICEC-JCSG 2019
- Demo and Doctoral Consortium at DIS 2019I presented my game Cook Your Way as a demonstration and also participated in the doctoral consortium at the Designing Interactive Systems (DIS) 2019 in San Diego, USA.
- On Crumbling Platforms at CGSA 2019I presented a talk on game making tools as sharing practices as part of the Sharing Games: Proliferation, Posterity, Practice panel of the CGSA 2019 conference.
- Cook Your WayA game about how immigration systems and capitalist discourses of multiculturalism combine to oppress migrants.
- Doctoral Colloquium at AoIR 2018In October 2018, I presented an outline of my doctoral project at the Doctoral Colloquium of the Association of Internet Research conference, hosted in Montréal, Canada.
- Designing Cook Your Way at CGSA 2018I presented a talk on the design process and directions of Cook Your Way as part of the Reflective Games panel at CGSA 2018.
- Indie InterfacesIn September 2017, Anita Cavaleiro and I presented a talk about indie dev meetups in Brazil at the Indie Interfaces conference at Concordia University in Montréal.
- On Gamification and PersuasionThis paper discusses the relationship between gamification and persuasion and was presented at the SBGames 2012 conference.
- Criticality in Game Design Practicein 2012, I completed my MSc in Games at the IT University of Copenhagen. My thesis discusssed criticality as a productive stance for game creators, drawing from popular education and social movements in Latin America.